Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Thoughts on Gender and Public Service

My name is Adena, and I'm a senior at the Haas School of Business. I'm originally from Southern California, but I moved up to Berkeley to attend Berkeley City College (BCC). After two years there, I transferred to Cal. I now work as a Program Coordinator for the Berkeley City College Service Community (BCCSC). We are a group that helps students get involved in their communities and assists them with the transfer process. 

I think a lot about the work that I do. It's definitely a huge part of my life. It's something I'm incredibly passionate about, since community college is a part of my identity. To read a little more about why I do the work I do, you can read my reflection: 

Something that I've been thinking about a lot recently is the apparent disparity between men and women in the field of public service. I've attended many workshops, trainings, and conferences, and I have noticed that there tend to be very few men. I'm curious as to why that is. My theory is that in our society, children are often taught to conform to gender roles. Girls are encouraged to be nurturing, to prepare them to be good mothers, and boys are taught to be aggressive, to prepare them to protect their families. I find it incredibly unfortunate that more men are not involved in public service. 

Even in my program, we only have two men out of twelve participants. Service should be seen as something that everyone should take part in. Service is a duty that all people have to their communities. I had to navigate the transfer process by myself, and I never wanted anyone to feel the frustration and confusion that I felt when I was transferring. That is why I give back to my community and do the work I do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment